Why NOT To Use a Word Template for Postcard Design
A Blank Postcard Template from Word? Nooo. There's a better way!
I have something better for you than a postcard template for Word or Google Docs. It's a totally free postcard template, too.
Are You Looking For...
- An easy flexible way to design and print (and maybe) send postcard that will turn heads?
- Software that's just as easy to use for postcards as Word is for 8.5 x 11 pages?
- A bunch of already postcard design templates to make things easier?
Heads up, there's a better way that will allow you to add all of your personal touches and give you so many more (template) options. I promise it will save you time (or I'll do the work for you)!
Here's Why I Wouldn't Use Word for Postcards, Date Cards, Business Cards, etc
- You can't drag and drop images, business logo, or any other objects.
- The layout is fixed so you have to build your graphic design and postcard ideas around it. Knowing how much bleed and safe area is moving target with Word templates as well. You can never be sure.
- Adding addresses for your mailing list is a pain, and using Mail Merge is hard.
Just watch me struggle and watch how images aren't replaced (and I work in San Francisco... so I'm the one folks call with technical questions!).
Microsoft Word just wasn't made to design print materials.
Want to Print and Hand Out Postcards?
If you want a big stack of your own postcards delivered to you to hand out, read on.
If you intend to mail these things, skip to the next section.
If you want to print postcards to hand out as business cards or otherwise, I'd advocate to use moo.com's postcards.
They have extra fancy premium paper, the color matching is awesome, and there are MANY more template options that will give you the special finish you want.
It's just going to be a way better experience than developing in Word. While their self-service design tool isn't great, it is better than a hard to edit direct mail template for Word. And, if you're starting from their custom-designed template for your unique postcard, I think you'll be pretty happy.
You can even use the hack below (our tool) for free to get a PDF postcard template you can use Moo's postcard builder.
Looking to Send Postcards Out in the Mail?
Ok, so I've reviewed so many different postcard creator tools, you'd think I was on that payroll of the UPS Store. I'm not, because that test is hard (there's a flowchart!). I don't often talk about Scout on the blog (ironically), but I think what I'm working on could be useful to you if you want to design or send 4x6, 6x9 or 6x11 postcards with some extra dazzle. I hope to save you from:
- The horrors of designing in Word
- Printing out individual postcards
- Cutting each piece of paper
- Attaching labels to each card
- Hand writing addresses
- Finding stamps
- Going to the post office
Scout Studio Works By Letting You...
- Design postcards in the browser with all the premium features.
- Upload a list of addresses (no formatting required on your part).
- We'll print them out, send them, and track them for you.
Here's a sneak peek at the blank postcard template. You can use this to create a PDF, you can print instantly, or export and use in a service like moo.com all for free. You won't pay me a dime unless you also have us send them through USPS for you.
So, hack my software and use something way better than Word! Chat with me in the corner if you need a direct mail service for your postcards. We have a variety of service plans to fit your needs.